Setting up Google SMTP
1. Enable two-step authentication
Two-step authentication requires not only a password when logging into the system, but also a code that comes to the phone number associated with the account. If an attacker somehow finds out your password, they still won't be able to access your Google account without additional code.
To obtain a confirmation password, you can also use a special application or a USB dongle, which must be inserted into a computer port. According to Google, fewer than 10% of users use secure two-factor authentication, but this number is constantly growing. So, to enable this kind of authentication, follow the instructions:
- Go to the Google website and open your account settings .
- In the "Security" section, select the "Two-step authentication" item. Google will ask you to confirm that this is your account. After entering the password, the two-factor authentication settings page will open.
- Select the desired smartphone and click "Send notification". This is needed to confirm access to the linked gadget. At this point, you may need to enter your phone number again.
- Choose how Google will send you an authentication code. It can be SMS or voice message.
- Soon, the selected phone number will receive a message with a code to enable 2-Step Verification. To complete the configuration, enter the code in the appropriate field and click "Enable".
- When you sign in to your Google account, you can check the box "Remember the code on this computer" - then the system will not ask for a second code for authentication on the selected device.
2. Create app password
1. Open the Google Account page .
2. In the left navigation pane, click Security.
3. In the "Sign in to your Google Account" section, tap App Passwords. Enter a password if required.
Note. If the page does not open, then 2-Step Verification is:
- not configured for your account;
-configured only for electronic keys.
4. At the bottom of the page, click Application and select the option you want.
5. Click Device and select the model.
6. Click Create.
7. Click Finish.
After that, the password will disappear from the screen. You will see a list of apps and devices for which passwords have been created.
8. Follow the instructions to enter the app password (16-character code in the yellow line) on your device.
9. Click Apply.